Bengali Vedic characters

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Wed May 6 03:22:36 CDT 2015

This is w.r.t. Srinidhi's preliminary review of non-Devanagari Vedic
characters L2/15-101, my comments on it in L2/15-113, and the script
review committee's report L2/15-149 p 5.

I had located the Arcika (verse) part of the Kauthuma Sama Veda
printed in Bengali script via DLI:
http://www.dli.ernet.in/cgi-bin/DBscripts/allmetainfo.cgi?barcode=4990010095079.
(Obviously Srinidhi had obtained the samples from this same site but
had neglected to provide the link in his document.)

However no scans are available on DLI for the Gana (melody) part of
the same, whereas it is this part which requires a greater number of
svara markers.

First I was wondering whether the Gana part was published in Bengali
script at all, but I hunted down the phone number of a qualified
scholar of the Kauthuma Sama Veda who resides in Varanasi and who is a
native Bengali, and had a telephonic conversation with him an hour
ago.

He informs me that the entire Kauthuma Sama Veda including the Arcika
(verse) and Gana (melody) forms was published by Satyavrata Samashrami
in Calcutta in the previous century. However he has no printed copies
on hand and one has to go to the National Library in Calcutta to
locate them.

I am not sure when I will have the time and occasion to travel to
Calcutta from Tamil Nadu for this. If anyone can help in locating
digital copies of the Gana part, a comprehensive proposal for Bengali
Sama Vedic svara markers can be prepared...

--
Shriramana Sharma ஶ்ரீரமணஶர்மா श्रीरमणशर्मा