Invalid dates in Japanese eras?

Kip Cole kipcole9 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 22:24:25 CDT 2021

Indeed I couldn’t find anything about the era definitions in TR35 either.

I’m currently interpreting “related Gregorian year” as the “the Gregorian year of the date when converted to the Gregorian calendar”.

`cyclic year` seems the least ambiguous.

`y` (calendar year) is actually also a little ambiguous to me. In a lunisolar calendar is that the cyclic year?  The cycle and year? The elapsed years since epoch?  Do you have a view?

I can see now that different calendar era dates have some in Gregorian dates (Chinese, Korean epochs), some Julian dates (Ethiopian, Coptic epochs) and with Japanese - well it looks like some years in Julian, some in Gregorian and months/days lunisolar as you indicated.

Nothing boring about calendars!

Cheers, —Kip

Sent from my iPad