Invalid dates in Japanese eras?

Kip Cole kipcole9 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 07:16:10 CDT 2021

Thanks very much, that definitely helps.  There are 4 “errors” that I found and since the other eras (at least for the Persian, and very ironically the Chinese calendars) are Gregorian dates I concluded the same must be true for the Japanese eras. My bad.

According to a google translate of the Wikipedia page you kindly linked to, I see that:

1. The dates are Julian years up to and including  Tenshō <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensh%C5%8D_(Momoyama_period)> 天正
2. Are Gregorian years after that

I can see that CLDR data follows the lunisolar month and day so thanks for that clarification.

My question is now whether CLDR dates for Japanese eras also change from Julian years to Gregorian years after Tenshō <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensh%C5%8D_(Momoyama_period)> 天正?  A check of the data suggests “yes” - is that correct?

In trying to reconcile the data I also see:

Wikipedia:  Shōhō <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sh%C5%8Dh%C5%8D> 正保 -> (Kanei December 16, 21, January 13, 1645, Julian year)
CLDR: <era type="199" start="1644-12-16"/>

Which suggest that either Wikipedia or CLDR have the wrong year for this era? The lunisolar months and days line up but the year is different.

Many thanks for your input and guidance!

Regards, —Kip