Justification of weekOfPreference

Bernd Eckenfels ecki at zusammenkunft.net
Tue Sep 15 05:04:30 CDT 2020

Hello,

I was Looking into the CLDR supplemental week data and noticed, that for (eg.) Germany the weekOfPreference list Looks like:

<weekOfPreference ordering="weekOfDate weekOfMonth weekOfInterval" locales="bg de iw pt ur zh"/>

This might be historically true, but using the ISO week number in german business communication is (to my perception) almost the only common used method - yet weekOfYear is not even listed as the least prio.

So I was wondering based on which data this sequence is produced, and when is it last revised? I havent found a methodology/justification for this entry.

There is also the Problem, that it is highly context dependend. For example in direct discussions about Upcoming month, using the week of month might be quite common … also using weekofDate and weekOfInterval are often used when someone asks for clarification, but not necessarily initially.

Gruss

Bernd

--
https://Bernd.eckenfels.net