Transliteration Issue Reporting / Contributor Tracking

Daniel Yacob via CLDR-Users cldr-users at unicode.org
Thu Jan 16 13:37:10 CST 2020

Greetings,

I've been working on transliteration UI tool that utilizes the CLDR
transforms repository (contents under common/transforms).  The tool is
targeted primarily for the semi- or non-technical humanities community in
academia. It also provides an editor and should be useful for people
comfortable with composing new transforms (link below).

The bulk of the feedback that I've had from early testers has been about
particular transliteration mapping choices.  Remarks in the form of "X
converts to Y, when I think it should be Z".  Which may be an actual defect
in the resource file or simply a preference difference.  Either way -not my
department.  So I direct  people back to CLDR.  I'm anticipating much more
of this when the tool is out of beta and have added a "Report an Issue"
option with a link to the issues  page:

  https://unicode-org.atlassian.net/projects/CLDR/issues/

Questions/Notes/Thoughts:

1) Is the above link the best starting point for someone wishing to report
an issue with a transliteration file?

2) Jira might be off-putting for people not already familiar with it.   LMK
if there is any other option for reporting an issue.

3) How is a transliteration file traced back to the contributor?  Is there
an online resource that identifies contributors?

Some of the files have a contributor name and email embedded in a comment.
I would suggest adding an LDML tag or attribute to the files to provide
contact information for the contributor.  Tools could then programmatically
make contacting the author about an issue easier.

4) Longer-term, a wiki page for each transliteration file would be great.
A page could document the goals, scope and any references of a
transliteration as well as provide contact info for a maintainer. Github
provides a basic wiki service that would be suitable.

thanks,

-Daniel