Locale bringup and barriers for entry

Marcel Schneider via CLDR-Users cldr-users at unicode.org
Thu Sep 27 00:32:56 CDT 2018

On 26/09/18 16:45 Mark Davis ☕️ via CLDR-Users wrote:

> CLDR does not currently handle octal or hexadecimal formats because those are not in customary use by normal users.
> They are clearly used by programmers, but that is specialized usage that doesn't require special formatting across human languages.
>
> I suggest that people focus on practical issues connected with CLDR and not ramble on about issues that are not particular important to CLDR users.

That is my opinion too, that this thread shouldn’t be abused to discuss issues irrelevant to CLDR.
But after having sent many replies after thread launch, all of which intended to help newcomers get started with CLDR,
I thought it unfair on my part not to respond to Luke, nor were I going to behave as if I was scared into silence by the new turn of the discussion.

The underlying message was: If people want to be disruptive, here’s what I’d suggest to focus on first.
But that was not all. I also stated:

>> […] I’d suggest to focus on getting all existing locales into CLDR,
> > unlike what is suggested in the comments I’d pointed in my previous message,
> > and on fixing existing errors.

Sorry for getting off-topic beside that.

Regards,

Marcel