Locale bringup and barriers for entry

Mark Davis ☕️ via CLDR-Users cldr-users at unicode.org
Wed Sep 26 09:38:01 CDT 2018

> Note that the supplemental data is OK for the "cardinal" and "range" type
of categories, but largely failing almost everywhere for the "ordinal" type.

This is due to a misunderstanding of how ordinal works. It is just like
cardinal (plural) in that the translator is responsible for the text, *and*
accounting for gender. The examples given are thus irrelevant.

"Prenez la 1re à droite"

Would be:

one: "Prenez la {number}re à droite"
other: "Prenez la {number}e à droite"

or

one: "Tournez au {number}er feu à droite"
other: "Tournez au {number}e feu à droite"

To reiterate, the handling of grammatical inflections other than
plurals/ordinals is outside the current scope of CLDR, but it is false to
say that CLDR "fails" for ordinals.

I would recommend that before you say "CLDR fails at X", you first ask so
that you can verify that your understanding of CLDR is correct.

Mark