Support of Old Church Slavic language sublocale in CLDR

Mark Davis ☕️ via CLDR-Users cldr-users at unicode.org
Mon Mar 26 05:16:37 CDT 2018

Some quick comments.

> Is there a need for having this in CLDR as a separate locale? Does
CLDR even provide support for ancient languages?

While it is possible from someone to propose adding an ancient language (as
per http://cldr.unicode.org/index/cldr-spec/minimaldata), I do think the
utility would be extremely limited. As with all other languages, we would
need a commitment to add the minimal data.

> As I wrote in the original ticket, in my view, the way to handle this
would be to separate "Old" Church Slavic (whatever is meant by this
term) from Church Slavic the way Ancient Greek has been separated from
modern Greek: grc is the ISO 639-2 code for Ancient Greek and ell or
gre are the ISO 639-2 codes for Modern Greek.

We follow BCP47 for codes, so we can't make up a code (as suggested by
souschan at gmail.com) for "cu-old". If "Old" Church Slavic is sufficiently
different from Church Slavic (eg at least as different as Danish and
Swedish)\, then a new language code should be proposed to the ISO 639
group, as you suggested. If it is more like a dialect difference, then in
theory a variant should be proposed. In practice, variants (other than
Script and Region) are not very well supported in software, however.

Mark