one macro language, two default languages

Mark Davis ☕️ via CLDR-Users cldr-users at unicode.org
Fri Mar 23 06:11:17 CDT 2018

We do enforce transitivity of the aliases, so that you can get multiple
items mapping to the same replacement:

zho => zh
cmn => zho => zh

<languageAlias type="zho" replacement="zh" reason="overlong"/> <!--
[Chinese] -->

<languageAlias type="chi" replacement="zh" reason="bibliographic"/> <!--
[Chinese] -->

<languageAlias type="zh_guoyu" replacement="zh" reason="deprecated"/> <!--
Mandarin or Standard Chinese -->

<languageAlias type="cmn" replacement="zh" reason="macrolanguage"/> <!--
Mandarin Chinese ⇒ Chinese -->

Here is another example, where on the basis of information we have gotten,
there is no material difference between Tagalog and Filipino

<languageAlias type="tgl" replacement="fil" reason="overlong"/> <!--
[Tagalog] -->

<languageAlias type="tl" replacement="fil" reason="legacy"/> <!-- Tagalog
-->

However, we shouldn't do that where there wouldn't otherwise be aliases. If
you find cases that you think are wrong, you should file a ticket (with
your reasoning) and we can review.

<languageAlias type="emk" replacement="man" reason="macrolanguage"/> <!--
Maninkakan, Eastern ⇒ Mandingo -->

<languageAlias type="mnk" replacement="man" reason="macrolanguage"/> <!--
Mandinka ⇒ Mandingo -->

 One concrete action we could consider taking would be to allow the @reason
be a space-delimited list, and thus be able to represent the "chain" of
reasons for a replacement.

Mark