en_GB.xml Gregorian Date Formats

Steven R. Loomis via CLDR-Users cldr-users at unicode.org
Fri Mar 16 18:14:16 CDT 2018

El El jue, mar. 15, 2018 a las 2:33 p. m., Philippe Verdy via CLDR-Users <
cldr-users at unicode.org> escribió:

> So I'm also in favor of deprecating the old supplemental file and
> integrate what it currently contains directly within the data of each
> relevant child locale: this will be clearer, and immediately usable by all
> CLDR-using applications and libraries, with also less maintenance (which is
> complex to do in a separate global files containining long lits of codes
> (possibly forgetting some, not coherent with BCP 47 fallback mechanisms,
> and in fact unnecessarily long to process when applications just need ONE
> parent locale which is specific to each locale, without processing **all**
> the supplemental data file to locate if a locale has some parent).

This means duplicating data, which makes maintenance more complicated for
no real benefit, as well as breaking existing consumers. As I wrote, there
are tools which already generate fully resolved locale data with all the
inheritance filled in. Perhaps that would be of more interest in
consumption than the unresolved source data.