block to script

Martin Hosken via CLDR-Users cldr-users at unicode.org
Tue Feb 13 20:38:09 CST 2018

Dear All,

Is there a way to get from a UBlockCode to a UScriptCode?

What? Aargh! No! Surely not! I hear you cry. But hold on a second. What I'm wanting to do is to add some (not perfect) future proofing to my application. When a new character is added to a block in Unicode, one can infer the script of that character, even if the character itself is unknown, from the block. But blocks get split! Yes they do. And this isn't a perfect solution. But block splits are rare, and this solution will give me a much better chance of an unknown character being handled 'appropriately' than being sure that the run break will break and having to wait however long until the next version of Unicode is released, ICU is updated and the application updated to that version of ICU.

Hence my question :)

Yours,
Martin