english language names

Mark Davis ☕️ via CLDR-Users cldr-users at unicode.org
Thu Aug 16 13:56:52 CDT 2018

The language subtag registry would only be used for English names, so
voting doesn't really come into play except for regional English variants.

But in any event, the main reason, as I said, was that there wouldn't be
much value to CLDR's simply duplicating entries in the language subtag
registry that would not otherwise be used for translations. It is not a
goal to translate all of the 7K+ language names in language subtag registry.

Mark

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 8:00 PM Hugh Paterson <hugh_paterson at sil.org> wrote:

> If CLDR were to include the language names, and then the language names
> were to change at IANA, or ISO 639-3 then my understanding is that it would
> take a significant amount of effort to change the CLDR entries; because of
> the necessary voting system and the lack of a formal commitment of
> congruence with standards like IANA or ISO 639-3.  Is this a correct
> understanding?
>
> - Hugh
>
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 4:37 AM, Mark Davis ☕️ via CLDR-Users <
> cldr-users at unicode.org> wrote:
>
>> It is more that we don't want to duplicate the
>> https://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry/language-subtag-registry
>> .
>>
>> We have added languages where we have locale XML files for them, and a
>> few others (not completely consistent as to criteria: there is a ticket to
>> clean that up).
>>
>> {phone}
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 16, 2018, 06:42 Martin Hosken via CLDR-Users <
>> cldr-users at unicode.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> I notice that the en locale is missing a lot of language names. Is this
>>> merely a lack of time/will/desire to copy the names from the IETF list or
>>> is there some stronger reason for not having at least an English entry for
>>> every language in the world?
>>>
>>> Yours,
>>> Martin