Timezone areas - mapping and localizing

Mark Davis ☕️ via CLDR-Users cldr-users at unicode.org
Wed Apr 4 02:09:50 CDT 2018

CLDR supplies names for the UN M.49, and the mapping from country/region
code to those.

There is a chart on
https://www.unicode.org/cldr/charts/33/supplemental/territory_containment_un_m_49.html
(using data from the source XML).

Note that the UN M.49 generally matches the 'area' part:  Africa [002]
contains Burundi [BI] and hence Africa/Bujumbura

But it doesn't for the areas named after oceans (Indian, Pacific,
Atlantic), except that Oceania [009] is close to Pacific. There are also a
few other differences: eg, the UN puts the nation of Turkey (TR) into
Asia [142] (makes sense, given that the vast majority is in Asia), but
because Istanbul is in Europe, the TZDB has the Europe area.

Here are charts of the UN regions:
https://www.unicode.org/cldr/charts/33/by_type/locale_display_names.geographic_regions.html

For example, Europe:
https://www.unicode.org/cldr/charts/33/by_type/locale_display_names.geographic_regions.html#5cfb1873d2bc4b69

Again, you don't want to scrape the charts, but instead get the data from
the XML files.

Mark