Fwd: Regarding Time zone name usage

Manikandan Ramalingam Kandaswamy rajavelmani at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 12:09:53 CST 2017

Hi CLDR,

I need some clarification on using time zone names spec.

I am implementing the date/time format for date symbols `zzzz` and I have
questions on the regarding the time zone format spec
<http://cldr.unicode.org/translation/timezones>.

I am focusing on regionFormat-standard and regionFormat-daylight
<https://github.com/unicode-cldr/cldr-dates-full/blob/master/main/en/timeZoneNames.json#L17-L18>
related to `zzzz`  format “{0} Standard Time” *or* “{COUNTRY} Standard Time
/ {CITY} Standard Time”.

Based on tr35 documentation
<http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr35/tr35-dates.html#Using_Time_Zone_Names>
spec I use metaZone and golden Zone in TimeZoneNames. But, I have these
questions which I could not get the answers from tr35 documentation
<http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr35/tr35-dates.html#Using_Time_Zone_Names>.

·      Is there any time zone which is not in a metaZone?

·      If there is a time zone which is not in a metaZone

o   Where is the localized COUNTRY or CITY name for constructing “{COUNTRY}
Standard Time / {CITY} Standard Time?

o   Should I use exemplarCity in TimeZoneNames.json
<https://github.com/unicode-cldr/cldr-dates-full/blob/master/main/en/timeZoneNames.json#L23>
?

Secondly,  for existing metaZone
<https://github.com/unicode-cldr/cldr-core/blob/master/supplemental/metaZones.json#L8>
in TimeZoneNames for `z…zzz` there are cases where there is no short time
zone names like for Asia/Calcutta
<https://github.com/unicode-cldr/cldr-dates-full/blob/master/main/en/timeZoneNames.json#L1896>.
In this case, I have these questions to be clarified

·      Should I fall back to “O” (GMT) format?

·      Can we have some algorithm in zone format spec
<http://cldr.unicode.org/translation/timezones> about short time zone name
usage?

Can someone help me to clarify the above questions?

Thanks

Mani