Chinese typography and U+FF5E ~ FULLWIDTH TILDE

Eric Muller eric.muller at efele.net
Tue Feb 28 13:04:44 CST 2017

CLREQ currently says that U+FF5E ~ FULLWIDTH TILDE is prohibited at line
start, not prohibited at line end (Appendix A). Its Unicode lb property
is ID, which allows this character to be a line start in most cases, and
therefore does not satisfy JLREQ. There is no mention of U+301C 〜 WAVE
DASH.

JLREQ lists U+301C 〜 WAVE DASH in cl-03 hyphens, prohibits it at line
start, and not at line end (just like CLREQ does for U+FF5E). Its
Unicode lb property is NS, which satisfies JLREQ. There is no mention of
U+FF5E (JLREQ ignores all fullwidth characters). U+007F TILDE is listed
as a western character, proportional.

I can think of three solutions:
- use U+301C 〜 WAVE DASH in CLREQ
- tailor lb for Chinese to make U+FF5E have lb = NS
- just make U+FF5E hae lb = NS

In a corpus of ~30K Chinese books, I find 681,803 occurrences of U+FF5E
~ FULLWIDTH TILDE, but only 3,258 occurrences of U+301C 〜 WAVE DASH. It
seems to me that Chinese users have voted on U+FF5E, and that the first
solution is not viable.

I don't see a downside to the third solution, so it is my current best
proposal.

Other solutions? suggestions?

Thanks,
Eric.