Time format characters 'h' and 'k'

Philippe Verdy via CLDR-Users cldr-users at unicode.org
Mon Aug 21 07:19:18 CDT 2017

But then why do you think that surrogates should have been allocated
elsewhere? If surrogates at been alocated at top, the low codepoints used
by ASCII would not be available for surrogates, and all code points would
be larger; UTF-8 may still place ASCII at top in the low position, but the
conversion between codepoint numeric values and UTF-8 would have been
radically different.

So what I understand now is that for your "top" word, you meant F800..FFFF
("end" of the BMP: I do agree with that), but I had understood you meant
they should have been at "start" (at 0000..07FF) for an unexplained strange
reason. In common sense, "top" opposes to "bottom" and means the start, not
the end, and the charmaps published are also placing the start of planes at
top of charts, not the bottom (this also matches the normal reading order
in all modern scripts)...