Time format characters 'h' and 'k'

Martin J. Dürst via CLDR-Users cldr-users at unicode.org
Sat Aug 19 11:07:13 CDT 2017

Hello Mark, others,

On 2017/08/19 16:32, Mark Davis ☕️ via CLDR-Users wrote:
> http://unicode.org/reports/tr35/tr35-dates.html#dfst-hour. I think this
> captures it:
>
> midn. noon midn.
> h 12 1 ... 11 12 1 ... 11 12
> H 0 1 ... 11 12 13 ... 23 0
> K 0 1 ... 11 0 1 ... 11 0
> k 24 1 ... 11 12 13 ... 23 24

I don't know the details. It looks to me as if these would be the fours
selections that make sense (12 vs. 24 hours, and 0 vs. 1 index origin).

However, what doesn't make sense to me here is that while the
distinction of origin is made by upper vs. lower case (0 origin: H, K;
1 origin: h, k), the distinction between 12h and 24h is mixed up (12
hours: h, K; 24 hours: H, k).

I wonder who came up with this, or if it is a mistake.

Regards,    Martin.