Re: Chén , Shěn and 沈 pinyin confusion

kz kazede at google.com
Tue Sep 13 15:06:11 CDT 2016

Hi Mark,

Commenting as a Chinese speaker (and not a dev).

Quite a few characters in Chinese have more than one pronunciations. In
contexts such as people's names, it often comes down to which pronunciation
their parents preferred while naming them. CLDR might have data on all the
possible pronunciations of a character, but a phonebook application should
allow users to override inferred pronunciation of a name.

There's just a caveat for collating though. Collations are usually done on
surnames in Chinese. Surnames in China (and other Chinese-speaking regions)
follow a strict convention, so in the context of a surname, 沈 is 99% likely
to be shěn rather than chén. Similar examples out of the top of my head: 华
(usually huá, as a surname huà) and 单 (usually dān, as a surname shàn). One
should also take care of compound surnames
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_compound_surname> (rare but not that
rare).

I'm not certain how much support CLDR provides for this use case.

Thanks