Updates required for new Japanese era (imperial calendar) - plans for handling?

Elsebeth Flarup eflarup at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 7 16:31:40 CDT 2016

I just asked a question about the process for handling a new Japanese emperor ascending the throne on the ICU support list. This will require a new ICU version, but Steven Loomis reminded me that there is also a data requirement - CLDR would need to be updated with the new era name and start date.
Are there any plans for handling this outside of the normal release cycle for CLDR? We have Japanese customers who are asking about turn-around time and clearly expecting this to be very fast.
Thanks,Elsebeth