Using "midnight" to mean the beginning of the day could be confusing

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jan 22 06:24:52 CST 2016

We have the same confusion in French, but it is disabiguated by the
context, when a sentence says that
- something starts on D day at midnight it means 00:00 at start of this D
day and not 24:00 at end of this D day
- something ends on D day at midnight it means 24:00 at end of this D day
and not 0000 at end of this D day
We need disambiguation when the context does not clearly state if this is a
start or end, i.e. an isolated timestamp. In such case we won't refer to
midnight ("minuit" in French) but 00:00 ("0 h" or "zéro heure" in French)
or 24:00 ("24 h" or vingt-quatre heures" in French). This is the same
situation as English.

In legal texts, the time of day is never used, only dates are specified and
they are inclusive (e.g. a new "commune" may be created on 1st January, the
legal text specifies the start day at it is implicitly at starting at
00:00; the same text specifies that older communes will end at the same
time; in most cases those legal texts are using starting dates that fall at
start of year or during a legal non-working or on monday when public
services are closed).

For contracts that need exact time working also on non-working days (e.g.
electronic transactions), timestamps are specified only numerically, never
by a sentence. For other dated contracts only dates are used inclusively so
that they inlcude at least the normal working time of signatories. When
there are organisations or people still working at midnight (shops,
restaurants...) the legal records contain only numeric timestamps (e.g.
billing tickets printed for their sales).

However "midnight" or "minuit" is definitely not a "day period", except in
fuzzy expressions like "This happened in the night between Sunday D and
Monday D+1, around mindight", where two dates are specified. If you wanted
to convert this to a numeric timestamp, it would be "D+1 00:00" or could be
a fuzzy date range such as "D 23:45 - D+1 00:15" specifying a rough
half-hour, or up to "D 23:00 - D+1 01:00" within a range of two hours. But
thjat "day period" is completely unspecified and left to contextual
interpretations.