Using "midnight" to mean the beginning of the day could be confusing

Martin J. Dürst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Fri Jan 22 00:40:18 CST 2016

In my opinion, "could be confusing" is a gross understatement :-(. I
just recently wanted to submit some abstracts to a conference where I
spent about 10 minutes to figure out which end of a day the actual
deadline was.

While there may be conventions for such things in some communities, and
CLDR has an ambition to follow them, it's highly confusing in the world
wide context of the web. The less such things are made defaults, and the
more exact terms are used (e.g. "midnight at the start of the day" or
some such), the better.

Regards,    Martin.