#9066: Territory code request for Abkhazia

Mats Blakstad mats.gbproject at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 18:28:11 CST 2015

As far as I know CLDR does not follow ISO 3166-1 code elements on several
other issues than Kosovo.

Ascension Island (AC)
Clipperton Island (CP)
Diego Garcia (DG)
Ceuta and Melilla (EA)
Canary Islands (IC)
Tristan da Cunha (TA)

These codes have their own territory code within CLDR, but as far as I can
see these are not valid ISO 3166-1 codes. Several of them have both a
territory code and a sub-division code, so it seems like other regions
already have both types of codes.

The request is not about anything political, like asking to recognize
Abkhazia as a country. CLDR do not create "country codes", it is a list of
territories, and from my understanding the territory list mostly reflect
that for some areas there is a need for some special consideration when you
want to effectively localize your project there. So what should be the
guiding star in the question weather new territory code should be created
or not, is if there is a valid need to collect localization data.

What I ask for is to provide localization data for Abkhazia, that people
then can choose to use or not. I don't understand why political converses
in UN should decide weather we are allowed to collect localization data for
a new territory within CLDR. To collect localization data will actually
help create more effective communication between people living in these
marginalized regions and the wider international community, and I guess
that is needed a lot.

In Abkhazia there are real people living that by all practical measures of
everyday life, do not live in Georgia. As example they use their own
currency. So I guess it would make a lot of sense to be able to give them
overview of money values estimates in their local currency. That a region
operate with their own local currency, to me it is by itself a valid reason
to create a new territory code in CLDR.

As long as there is a need for localization data to create effective
communication with people living in an area, I don't understand why there
should be a problem to create a new territory code.

If we would like to follow the ISO 3166-1, we could of course just delete
the above mentioned codes that are not part of ISO 3166-1. If not I guess
weather a territory have a ISO 3166-1 code is not relevant for
CLDR-territory codes.