Feedback on CLDR JSON and encoding crucial data only in keys

Ben Hamilton beng at fb.com
Tue Nov 3 10:36:09 CST 2015

Will do, thanks! I'll file two separate issues, since they're unrelated.

Outlook<http://aka.ms/Ox5hz3> より送信

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 10:32 PM -0800, "Mark Davis ☕️" <mark at macchiato.com<mailto:mark at macchiato.com>> wrote:

I suggest that you file this as a bug, and we can discuss in the meeting.

For #1, the knottiest issue is
"dayperiod": {
"displayName": "AM/PM",
"displayName-alt-variant": "am/pm"
},

We've wrestled with this. As I recall, we considered fleshing it out, be something like:

"dayperiod": {
 "displayName": {
    "plain": "AM/PM",
    "variant": "am/pm"
  },
},
But because 'alt' could potentially go on every leaf node that would require adding a level (and "plain") for essentially every leaf node. (And where alt can go on non-leaf nodes we'd have to work that in also.) But we could explore some ideas.

For #2, we could probably go to a simpler format for JSON. We could look at space-delimited strings, maybe with a special sequence for ranges, that would be easy to parse.

Mark