4 Votes

Yury Tarasievich yury.tarasievich at gmail.com
Sun May 17 23:29:20 CDT 2015

Apropos of noone's affiliations, this is not how
the scheme is actually working, at least not
when the -- ordinary speaking -- 'politics' gets in.

To provide a current example, certain well-known
search service even now uses some off-beat
definitions for the language names in its
interface in language X. Off-beat to the point
of being incomprehensible to the language X
users, I 'kid you not'. I'm pretty certain no
language X standardising body mandated this
input. So who put it there and on what grounds?

CLDR and some other bodies in similar position
tend to go for the broder coverage
(crowd-sourcing the product, as it seems). This,
however, means that their representations of
some (more marginal? unsufficiently stabilised?)
languages' cultures get 'shoddy' or plainly
diverge from the actual conditions.

What's the expected result then, I wonder? Is it
an internet user hurrying to file an issue? An
internet user going 'pfff', more like.

-Yury