Time zones: the localized GMT formats

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Fri Mar 13 09:52:38 CDT 2015

Jon Zeppieri <zeppieri at gmail dot com> wrote:

> More troubling, however, is that in the general case, I don't know how
> to generate the short form using this data. While it's easy to strip
> out the "mm" portion of this when it's not needed, I don't know, in
> general, how to deal with separators or possibly literal portions of
> this pattern that should be removed along with the "mm." For example,
> in this particular case, I know that I'd have to remove the colon
> before the minute pattern, but I imagine that a locale could use
> something like: "HH 'hours', mm 'minutes'," and I would not know to
> remove the entirety of ", mm 'minutes'" without treating it as a
> special case.

This is entirely up to you, but I'm personally having a hard time seeing
the value of a "short" time format with just hours and no minutes. Many
people would see that as shortened to the point of being unusable.

I realize this is orthogonal to your question.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO ����