Why $ appears on the left side of value? (was: Re: BIDI percentage sign)

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Sun Mar 1 20:37:34 CST 2015

This has been true as well in France, with the franc (using the F letter as
the symbol), but it is wtill true as well with the Euro. This was always an
informal usage. For formal usages, the symbol has always been after the
numeric figures, and the standard decimal separator (comma)  always used,
with or without the separator (thin non-breaking space) for grouping digits.