LDML data for en_IE

George Sexton georges at mhsoftware.com
Fri Feb 6 10:21:03 CST 2015

On 2/6/2015 8:59 AM, Rafael Xavier wrote:

>     Thus the value would come from en.xml, which would be:
>

> Shouldn't it be en_GB.xml, which is its parent locale?

Gosh, I looked through the en_IE.xml file and there's no parentLocale
element in the file? Surely, the standard is better than to have some
useful inheritance data that's required squirreled away in some
uselessly named file like "supplementalData.xml" in an entirely
different directory.

Seriously, parentLocale should be part of the identity block in the
common/main/ll_CC.xml file. Not having it there is silly.

However, it would appear you're right.

> On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 12:26 AM, George Sexton <georges at mhsoftware.com
> <mailto:georges at mhsoftware.com>> wrote:
>
>     I'm looking at the LDML data for common/main/en_IE.xml.  In this
>     file, in the gregorian section there is only a full date format entry.
>
>     As documented somewhat ironically in section 4 of Unicode
>     Technical Standard #35 Unicode Locale Data Markup Language (LDML),
>     a lookup for dateFormatLength short should follow inheritance.
>     Thus the value would come from en.xml, which would be:
>
>     <dateFormatLength  type="short">
>     	<dateFormat>
>              	<pattern>M/d/yy</pattern>
>     	</dateFormat>
>     </dateFormatLength>
>

>     However examining the JSON file of cldr data,
>     main/en-IE/ca-gregorian.js, it contains:
>
>     "short": "dd/MM/y"
>
>     I've also had a person who is a native of that country inform me
>     that  M/d/yy is not correct.
>
>     Can someone help me understand why the LDML data implicitly
>     contains (to my understanding) an incorrect definition of the
>     short date format for the en-IE locale?
>

>     --
>     George Sexton
>     *MH Software, Inc.*
>     Voice: 303 438 9585 <tel:303%20438%209585>
>     http://www.mhsoftware.com

> --
> +55 (16) 98138-1582, +1 (415) 568-5854, skype: rxaviers
> http://rafael.xavier.blog.br

George Sexton
*MH Software, Inc.*
Voice: 303 438 9585