LDML data for en_IE

George Sexton georges at mhsoftware.com
Thu Feb 5 20:26:57 CST 2015

I'm looking at the LDML data for common/main/en_IE.xml.  In this file,
in the gregorian section there is only a full date format entry.

As documented somewhat ironically in section 4 of Unicode Technical
Standard #35 Unicode Locale Data Markup Language (LDML), a lookup for
dateFormatLength short should follow inheritance. Thus the value would
come from en.xml, which would be:

<dateFormatLength  type="short">
	<dateFormat>
         	<pattern>M/d/yy</pattern>
	</dateFormat>
</dateFormatLength>

However examining the JSON file of cldr data,
main/en-IE/ca-gregorian.js, it contains:

"short": "dd/MM/y"

I've also had a person who is a native of that country inform me that
M/d/yy is not correct.

Can someone help me understand why the LDML data implicitly contains (to
my understanding) an incorrect definition of the short date format for
the en-IE locale?

--
George Sexton
*MH Software, Inc.*