Currency patterns and fraction information

Isaac Jurado isaac.jurado at roiback.com
Wed Nov 5 16:21:51 CST 2014

Hello,

First of all, I want to apologize in advance just in case my question is
too dumb.  My question is about currency formatting and decimal places.

Most of the locale definitions use a currency pattern that ends with
"0.00".  This means that, at least, one integer and two decimal digits
will be printed along with its decimal separator.  However, the
supplemental data contains information about decimal digits usage and
rounding policies [1, 2].

For those currencies that do not use decimals at all (a.g. COP, the
obsolete ESP, JPY, etc.), the currency format pattern still forces a
decimal separator followed by two zeroes to be "printed".  Is that
considered an implementation mistake or the <fractions> element is
completely unrelated to the currency pattern.

In other words, is there any implementation deriving from CLDR that
makes use of fraction information when formatting a currency value?

Thank you.

[1] http://www.unicode.org/cldr/charts/26/supplemental/detailed_territory_currency_information.html#format_info
[2] http://unicode.org/repos/cldr/trunk/common/supplemental/supplementalData.xml

--