[icu-design] CLDR/ICU proposal: collation rules for import only

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Fri May 2 10:14:39 CDT 2014

Richard Wordingham <richard dot wordingham at ntlworld dot com> wrote:

>> which in ICU would turn into
>>     [import ja-u-co-private-kana]
>
> I've been struggling to follow this, but should the key word be
> 'partial' or 'component' rather than 'private'.  There's nothing
> private about the rules one intends to share.

In standards like these, "private" doesn't mean "secret." It means "not
defined by the standard, but by end users, using a mechanism built into
the standard for that purpose." Private agreements can be distributed
very publicly.

See, for example, the Unicode Private Use Area and the code elements in
ISO 15924 that are "reserved for private use."

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, USA
http://ewellic.org | @DougEwell