Supplemental data - characters.xml

John Emmons emmo at us.ibm.com
Wed Jun 11 17:44:35 CDT 2014

The CLDR TC is considering retiring the "characters.xml" file from our
distribution.  The file is intended to provide a set of fallback characters
that can be used as reasonable alternatives for a given character if the
character does not exist in a particular font.  See
http://unicode.org/cldr/trac/ticket/7123.

We would like to get feedback from any interested parties who might be
using this data, and who would want to make a case for keeping this
information in the CLDR.  If we don't get any response at all, or very
little response, then we will likely remove this data in the 26 release.

Regards,

John C. Emmons
Globalization Architect & Unicode CLDR TC Chairman
IBM Software Group
Internet: emmo at us.ibm.com