adding all of iso639_3 to either en.xml or root.xml

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Tue Jul 15 11:50:39 CDT 2014

One thing to note: names in ISO 639 are intended primarily for purposes of identifying the concepts that are encoded, not providing recommended display names. Especially in 639-3, the reference names are not claimed to be English names for the languages; they are merely names that have been used in literature documenting languages. It was simply not feasible to get a review of 7000+ language concepts to determine names that are specifically English or French, or specifically autonyms, or to review for suitability as display names in UI (in whatever language).

If CLDR TC or any of its participants can provide vetted English / French / whatever names for any of the entries in 639-3, then I expect the RA would be open to considering changes. The RA is not constrained to providing only reference names of undetermined language origin; they were only required to provide unique and unambiguous reference names.

Peter