CLDR TL;DR article

Eric Muller emuller at adobe.com
Wed Dec 24 09:52:28 CST 2014

On 12/24/2014 4:49 AM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> Is that a rule that has officially been declared somewhere?

Fortunately, there is no such thing as "official" typographic rules.

Two sources of recommendations:

The "Lexique des règles tyographiques en usage à l'imprimerie nationale"
adopts an "espace fine insécable" before ; ! and ? but an "espace mot
insécable" before : and » and after «. It puts an "espace justifiante"
around —.

"Le Correcteur Typographe" by L.-E. Brossard has a whole chapter on the
subject (starting at page 309 of volume 2,
<http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k5492762k/f323.image>), with the
most relevant discussion starting on page 317. It recommends 2/3 of the
word space after « and before ». It also has a bit more details, such as
a fixed space between ’ and «, a "demi-cadratin" after a « that is
repeated on start of lines, a "demi-cadratin" after the — in dialogs, as
well as in the form '« —' of dialogs.

In terms of Unicode in plain text, I agree with Philippe that some kind
of space character is necessary in all those places where a typographic
space is to appear.

  In my reprints of public domain texts (http://efele.net/ebooks), after
having dealt with more than 100K pages of 19th century typography, I
settled on using U+0020 ‘ ’ SPACE in the source texts, with a processing
at publishing time to replace those by U+202F ‘ ’ NARROW NO-BREAK SPACE
when appropriate. This processing is conservative and on occasion I use
a U+202F ‘ ’ NARROW NO-BREAK SPACE in the source text. This approach is
viable only because I control both the source texts and the processing;
in some sense I have a "private" meaning of U+0020 ‘ ’ SPACE, which I
justify (the meaning, not the space) by the immense simplification of
the editing of the source texts it provides.

Eric.