[icu-design] CLDR/ICU proposal: collation rules for import only

Markus Scherer markus.icu at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 17:08:04 CDT 2014

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 12:19 PM, Mark Davis ☕️ <mark at macchiato.com> wrote:

> What I suggest is both the attribute and naming convention (and a test to
> ensure they match). But 0 is way too ugly. My suggestions would be along
> the following lines:

I picked a prefix '0' because I assume that even these internal types need
to be valid in language tags.
At least in ICU we assemble something like sr_Latn's <import source="hr"
type="search"/> into syntax with a language tag like [import
hr-u-co-search].
Therefore, the type needs to be a valid subtag, with [a-z0-9] and at most 8
characters.

I agree that '0' is not pretty, but it seemed like the best possible prefix
given the constraints, and given that none of the existing types begins
with a digit.

Also, as I said in my previous email, if y'all do want more than a naming
convention, then it should probably be an element, not a non-distinguishing
attribute.

markus